For some reason I skipped 2016 year’s sum-up, so I will write two years sum-up this year.
- 5 important things that I did at 2016/2017 years:
- +1 in our familty, his name is Ilya.
- In april 2016 I parted my ways with Binary.com and started to work with PropertyGuru Group in Bangkok, Thailand. Thank you for all the good time Binary.com! I learnt a lot during my work there.
- I moved to DevOps Team Lead role.
- Our family visited Ukraine, we weren’t there for about 3 years.
- Sold a car in Malaysia and bought a new one in Thailand.
- Most interesting/inspiring people I met during 2016/2017 years:
- Dan Podeanu - Leader, software developer with vast knowledge in systems. He was a head of engineering in PropertyGuru Group for some time. Dan is proper engineering leader. Seeing IT systems as a whole, orchestrating enhancements of whole company engineering culture and IT infrastructure, care and inspire engineers who work with him, deep knowledge in IT systems, honesty and openness.
- Pedro Pereira - Leader and software developer in PropertyGuru Group. There’re a lot of good things about him, but most important thing that I saw - he really care about IT systems that we have. Now I know one of the most important criteria for hiring - hiring people who cares.
- Jani Rautiainen - Leader and founder of PropertyGuru Group. I learnt from him importance of listening to people, and I saw how important it is to trust people. What a profound change these two things bring to company (engineering) culture!
- Dmitriy Chekmarev - T-shaped software developer, who also good in DBA and systems. Never stop learning and be positive - those are two main things that I learnt from Dima.
New hobby this year:
- Play with Ilya :)
- Reading IT related articles/books. I was especially impressed by Site Realibility Engineering book.
Two might-have-been dream in this year:
- I could sleep 8 hours per day - but I constantly find some excuses.
- I might speak Thai already, but I’m too lazy to practice Thai.
What did not go well
- I didn’t sleep enough 2016/2017 years, I should fix this as soon as possible.
- I didn’t do much programming during 2016/2017.
- I procrastiante from big and important projects.
- I became overweight. So many tasty food here in Thailand.
What went well
- Our sun Ilya is growing and bring us a lot of joy :)
- After I bought a car in Thailand, we travelled a lot around Bangkok. We visited Khao-Yai, Pattaya, Rayong, Koh Chang, Cha-am and Hua-Hin. Most of those places were visited several times.
- Our family travelled to Ukraine. I was very impressed by fully electical taxis (+ network of electic chargers) in Kharkiv. Coffee, food and coworking places were also fantastic.
- We rented our new apartment near PropertyGuru Bangkok’s office, it was a fantastic decision (especially taking in account horrible Bangkok’s traffic jams). And overall we have a better apartment than before.
- I was promoted to a DevOps Team Lead role, and I would like to become a good IT engineering leader.
- I had numerous business trips to Singapore (PropertyGuru Group HQ is in Singapore), as a consequece I fall in love with this city.
- I wrote a lot of Terraform code (mostly AWS specific), and I’m happy with my progress in terraform coding.
- I worked a lot with Salt (configuration management tool), and I really like my progress with it and code that I wrote.
- I visited DevOps Days in Singapore.
- I finially wrote this 2016/2017 sum-up and I’m very proud of myself :)
What I wanted to achieve last year and what happened?
- sleep 8 hours per day and walk&hike a lot - walk&hike is going well, but for some reason I don’t sleep enough.
- fix my health problems - I’m procrastinating on that.
- make my eyesight better than this year - I’m procrastinating on that.
- travel to 3 new foreign countries - We were too consumed with travelling around Bangkok.
- start programming on golang and lisp - I’m procrastinating on that.
- have 50$ per hour rates - I got closer to this goal, still in progress.
- learn ansible, salt and puppet - I learnt salt, and a bit of puppet. Ansible is not needed for me as for now.
- get more DBA skills at MySQL and PostgreSQL - This one is inifinite goal, but mostly I’m happy with my DB knowledge progress.
- start speaking Thai language, even if it will be very simple talks - I’m procrastinating on that.
What I would like to achieve in new year?
I want to:
- sleep 8 hours per day.
- Have a weight <= 90 kg.
- fix my health problems.
- make my eyesight better than before.
- travel to 1 new foreign country.
- start programming on golang.
- have 50$ per hour rates.
- learn ansible and puppet.
- get more DBA skills at MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- start speaking on Thai language, even if it will be very simple talks.